GREEN DESIGN – Why “High Performance” building design?
For a healthier – and yes, happier – home – and work – environment.
Fact: performance optimized buildings ARE better: occupants report greater well-being, maintenance costs are dramatically lower, and market value is higher than conventional buildings.
The nuts and bolts of “better”? – renewable and non-toxic materials, efficient energy systems and appliances, conscientious assembly, installation and disposal practices – and more.
It requires a specialized design process – tailored to proven sustainability standards:
The green performance planning basics:
- Siting – toward optimized development density, community connectivity, and solar access
- Development Controls – construction pollution and waste prevention; open space and community links; alternative transportation planning; heat island and light pollution reduction
- Water Efficiency – in the household and landscape, rainwater capture and use
- Energy Systems Performance – HVAC efficiency, incorporated green power options – solar photovoltaic (PV), hydro, fuel cells
- Materials and Resources Management – building re-use, materials salvage, recycled content, rapid renewables, local sourcing
- Indoor Air Quality – pollutant control; lighting and thermal comfort and efficiency
- Passive Solar Heating and Daylighting – mass, strategic glazing
- EnergyStar appliances and LED lighting
Where to begin? – call us for a preliminary on-site Design consultation.
Topics we will cover on a first walk-through of your property:
- your project idea, location and scope
- your architectural style
- lifestyle matters affecting design/floor plan
- sustainability goals – basic to GreenBuild/ LEED / Passiv Haus standards
- your construction budget
- project timetable
- planning process and cost
On-site consultation fee: $125/hour, 2 hour minimum.
A sampling of our Design-Planning projects – and 3-D CAD modeling – by UrbanEcos lead designer Erica Enyart and associate designer Lloyd Brown:
Project launch – the Design Contract:
We use an AIA based design contract – for process clarity and accountability – specifies pre-planning HOA administration (subdivision covenants or other neighborhood architectural authority handling), revisions, permitting and corrections process, drawing sequence and payment schedule.
The planning documents required for Building Permit application – the construction drawings – and any further specifications/schedules ordered by the Owners – are specified in the Design Contract.
A typical building plan set will include at least these basic drawings:
Site / Floor Plan(s)/ Electrical and Plumbing lay-out / Roof / Foundation / Wall Section(s).
Further details can be generated upon Project Owner request: Window and Door Schedules, cabinetry elevations, hardware and appliance schedules, finishes, fixtures.
Landscape Planning – yes we do – because the art of good living encompasses the outdoors.
Need help for the Build phase of your project?
We offer Project Management services:
- Contractor Invitations to Bid
- Contract/Bid review
- progress inspections
- informal mediations
Fees on percent-of-project-cost basis – or a-la-carte (per hour).